A betting man
MAN UP! That was sort of the theme of the boys trip to Atlantic City that a few friends of mine and I took up north just recently. My friend Jon does silk screen printing as a hobby and we printed up a bunch of t-shirts with a design he made. I don't have the design on board but it's taken from this comic strip. It is basically the second panel there (in monochrome) and underneath is says "MAN UP" in video game font. So Jon, Brian, Spence, Matt and I all crammed into Spence's Saab and headed up to Atlantic City for some sweet casino action.
The first time I went to a casino, I lost $20 to the slot machines within about 5-8mins. It was a sucky feeling and it definitely was not my idea of a good time. This go around, we played blackjack and I made $60 in 30min. This was a better experience. Not only because I won (though, come on! it's awesome to win), but because I felt I had more control over the money I was gambling. If you don't go to casinos, I wouldn't guess you know this but the old "one arm bandit" slot machines are a thing of the past. Some of them have arms to pull but most of them are setup with buttons that spin the wheels for you. Instead of coins, you purchase a pre-paid swipe card and the machine will automatically deduct your bet from the card and add winnings to it. No more the days of the coins crashing into the win trough. It's all very sterile now. BOO! So I won $60 at blackjack and my friend lost around $80 in the same amount of time. That's a net of $20 for the casino. Next we played poker. I got a few lucky hands and made another $70 or so and cashed out for the day. $130 for a few hours of gambling; Not bad considering I started with $20.
Jon and I went back to the hotel around 1am and went to sleep leaving the other three to their own devices. Come 9 in the morning, we woke up to find Brian slumbering in the other bed but Spence and Matt were nowhere to be found. After a few calls, they finally picked up the phone. Still at the casino, they had played poker all night long and were up a few hundred dollars. Good for them, except for some reason they thought they could come back and sleep at the hotel until 4 or something. Nope check out is at 11 baby, and by the time they got back, they only had about 15min to enjoy the beds they paid $40 a piece for.
Having nearly had my fill of gambling for the weekend, Jon and I visited the local aquarium and saw some of the alien creatures we share this planet with. (Watch the movie: Aliens of the Abyss) One fish bore a striking resemblance to a blue hummingbird; Weird!
Grabbed some lunch at the Irish Pub and -$40 later I was finally finished off my gambling craving at the Showboat Casino's Blackjack table.
A pretty successful trip for my first real visit to a casino. All safe and sound back in C-ville now and starting a new semester of school. Speaking of gambling, check out a new blog I just started regarding a wager I made with a friend to be won or lost in six months time. Till next time...
The first time I went to a casino, I lost $20 to the slot machines within about 5-8mins. It was a sucky feeling and it definitely was not my idea of a good time. This go around, we played blackjack and I made $60 in 30min. This was a better experience. Not only because I won (though, come on! it's awesome to win), but because I felt I had more control over the money I was gambling. If you don't go to casinos, I wouldn't guess you know this but the old "one arm bandit" slot machines are a thing of the past. Some of them have arms to pull but most of them are setup with buttons that spin the wheels for you. Instead of coins, you purchase a pre-paid swipe card and the machine will automatically deduct your bet from the card and add winnings to it. No more the days of the coins crashing into the win trough. It's all very sterile now. BOO! So I won $60 at blackjack and my friend lost around $80 in the same amount of time. That's a net of $20 for the casino. Next we played poker. I got a few lucky hands and made another $70 or so and cashed out for the day. $130 for a few hours of gambling; Not bad considering I started with $20.
Jon and I went back to the hotel around 1am and went to sleep leaving the other three to their own devices. Come 9 in the morning, we woke up to find Brian slumbering in the other bed but Spence and Matt were nowhere to be found. After a few calls, they finally picked up the phone. Still at the casino, they had played poker all night long and were up a few hundred dollars. Good for them, except for some reason they thought they could come back and sleep at the hotel until 4 or something. Nope check out is at 11 baby, and by the time they got back, they only had about 15min to enjoy the beds they paid $40 a piece for.
Having nearly had my fill of gambling for the weekend, Jon and I visited the local aquarium and saw some of the alien creatures we share this planet with. (Watch the movie: Aliens of the Abyss) One fish bore a striking resemblance to a blue hummingbird; Weird!
Grabbed some lunch at the Irish Pub and -$40 later I was finally finished off my gambling craving at the Showboat Casino's Blackjack table.
A pretty successful trip for my first real visit to a casino. All safe and sound back in C-ville now and starting a new semester of school. Speaking of gambling, check out a new blog I just started regarding a wager I made with a friend to be won or lost in six months time. Till next time...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home