Monday, August 21, 2006

Announcements

IT has been well over a month since I last posted. It is not for lack of things to post about. In fact a lot has been going on in my life lately but I've been rather apathetic towards this blog.

This past Sunday I announced to my church that I've begun courting a lovely young lady. I'm pretty excited about it! So much so that I've written this post.

The church that we both go to promotes courtship as the way to go for couples getting into serious relationships. We have known each other for a while but just recently started spending more time together. I had made up my mind not to date anyone until I could be "serious" about it. Which means I have been single for about 3 years now. While courtship has marriage as a goal, it's not like I am engaged just yet. We still have a lot to learn about each other and we are going to be taking things slow. I'll see if I can't get a picture of us up here sometime soon.

I've already been questioned many times about exactly what is courting and how is it different than dating. Depending on who you talk to, courtship has varying degrees of being "the same thing as dating". If you were talking to me though, I'd say: "Courting is like dating except you deliberately seek input from other more experienced people." First thing is to get the permission of the parents to even have the relationship. In our case, this was pretty easy to do. Both of our parents supported us as a couple. The next thing to do (which we have yet to start) is getting some sort of regular "accountability couple" who act to varying degrees like relationship counselors. I guess you can do the same thing with dating. Courting is a serious and responsible style of dating that is probably more formal in the way it is carried out. There is no real rule book for courting although many guidelines exist, so we are setting our own rules that we feel are appropriate with guidance from the accountability couple.... Yes we can hold hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home